Trinity Lutheran School
Trinity Lutheran School was founded in 1869 with 12 students. In 1942, Trinity moved to its current location at 8th and Laramie Streets. Our current “yellow” building served as the first school with an enrollment of 120 students. A Kindergarten class was added in 1955. In 1988, we dedicated our current Education Center; located at 611 North 8th Street. Today, Trinity Lutheran School provides a Christ-centered education for students in Kindergarten though 8th grade. We also provide classes for 3 and 4-year-old preschool students.
Even though Trinity is affiliated with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), we welcome students of all races and religious background. In fact, a majority of our students are not Lutheran.
Trinity Lutheran School’s curriculum is based on “A Curriculum Guide for Lutheran Elementary Schools” and the Kansas State Department of Education standards and objectives. TLS is fully accredited by the Kansas State Department of Education.
The faculty strives to provide updated curriculum in all subject areas. We engage in on-going curriculum review to ensure that our school’s curriculum meets current high-quality state standards. All of our textbooks are purchased from the same publishers that are in use in the public and private schools.
A school day at TLS for K-8 students begins at 8 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m.
Teachers and Staff
All of our K-8 teachers are certified. Our current teaching staff includes:
- Lisa Brookover – principal
- Melissa Gabe – administrative assistant
- Lori Trainer – 3-year-old preschool teacher
- Linda Goodpasture – 4-year-old preschool teacher
- Jennifer Curley – Kindergarten
- John Leon – 1st grade
- Kelly Dressler – 2nd grade
- Justin Hoffman – 3rd grade
- Amy Oswalt – 4th grade
- Jill Lowe – 5/6th grades
- Lori Leondardi – 7/8th grades
- Roschelle Bisping – librarian
- Melissa Blanton and Lori Trainer, Music
- Barb Sowers – Teacher Aide
- Melissa Kiehl – 4-year-old preschool Aide
- Pam Harden, Teacher Aide
- Debbie Schneider, SCRIP
- Megan Schneider, SCRIP
- Cindy Peuker – custodian
- Robert Frisbie – custodian
TLS provides instruction in the following areas:
- Religion: Bible study, doctrine, church history, worship, evangelism, and memorization.
- Language Arts: reading, writing, spelling, phonics, written and oral communication.
- Mathematics: arithmetic, algebra, geometry and related areas.
- Social Studies: our world, neighborhood, communities, states and regions, US history: early years, world regions, western hemisphere, US history, Kansas history.
- General Science: concepts in life, earth and physical science, health, and safety.
- Music: singing, music appreciation, theory and history, special choirs.
- Physical Education: body strength, coordination skills, rhythm, and recreation.
- Techology: keyboarding, Internet usage, and computer applications.
We never want the cost to be the reason that you child or children doesn’t attend our school. We do offer financial aid to qualifying families. For more information about financial aid, please call the school at 913-367-4763.
For a listing of the current tuition and fees, please visit the school website.
Breakfast and Hot Lunch
TLS provides breakfast for our students from 7:30 – 8 a.m. A hot lunch is provided on-site under contract with USD 409.
Parents welcome, and encouraged, to occassionally eat lunch with their children. KSDE policy prohibits the eating of fast food or soft drinks in the school cafeteria.
TLS students are required to were school-approved uniforms. In general, uniforms for boys consist of tan or navy slacks, solid colored shirts (oxford/polo with collar) and sweatshirts (red, white, navy, and yellow). Girls can wear a jumper/skirt (plaid, navy or tan-kahaki) or uniform slacks and solid colored shirts and sweatshirts are described for the boys. For more specific dress-code allowances, please contact the school office at 913-367-4763.
[Information for this page was taken from the current Trinity Lutheran School Parent’s Handbook]